Commercial Taps and Backflow

Before starting construction on a commercial building within the District, you must submit a set of Utility Site Plans to the District for review and approval and apply for the necessary water taps, including fire line taps and fire hydrants, pay any applicable tap fees, fire tap fees, fire hydrant fees and inspection fees.

The Builder is responsible for installing the water service line from the water meter pit into the building. However, all main line construction will need to be inspected by the District Inspector and pass a pressure test and Bac T test. A review of the plans by District Staff is required to determine exactly how and where the metering device(s), backflow device(s) and/or pressure regulator(s) are to be installed by builder.

Commercial Backflow Requirements

Commercial buildings need a backflow device. A cross connection is any possible link connecting a source of pollution to a potable (safe) water supply. A backflow device is a mechanical device which interrupts or breaks the flow of contaminated water into the potable water supply. The District is required under the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act – 1986 and the Colorado Primary Drinking Water Regulations to ensure safe drinking water to its customers and to develop and implement a Cross Connection Control and Backflow Prevention Program to protect its customers and its potable water supply. History has determined that commercial users pose the greatest threat to potable water supplies and that a backflow device is effective in protecting the potable water supply from possible contamination.

The owner of the commercial tap is responsible for the installation and maintenance of the backflow device, including having the device inspected and tested annually by a Certified Backflow Inspector to ensure the device is working properly, and providing the District with a copy of all applicable test reports.